Sunday, July 25, 2010

Yellowstone trip

This weekend we met Shay up north to hang out and go to Yellowstone for a day trip. We picked the perfect weekend to meet him because he was able to get off early on Thursday and had Friday off yeah!!! On Thursday night we took the kids to tour a dairy farm, Shay is working with the owners on a project right now. The kids enjoyed seeing all the cows and riding in a tractor. It was actually very interesting for me too since I have never been to a dairy farm before. Everything is actually quite high tech, more than I was expecting anyway. On Friday we left early and drove up to Jackson, Shay had to drop off something at another firm, then we headed up to Yellowstone. It was a beautiful drive through the Tetons however it was busy holiday weekend so lots of cars and RVs made the trip slower than we were hoping. Needless to say our idea of driving around one of the main loops quickly became lets just go to Old Faithful walk around and head back. The kids are still pretty young to appreciate much and can only handle so much time in the car before the trip is not any fun. So after driving for about 2+ hours from Jackson, we had to make a couple of stops, we made it to Old Faithful. I think the rest of the world had the same idea as us, wow lots of people. But lucky for us we made it at the perfect time we only had to wait about 15 minutes to see the eruption, it erupts about every hour and half. so we felt lucky. After we saw the amazing site and were heading out on our walk around the other geysers I ran into my old college roommate, Lindsay!! It was wild of all places to run into someone and having so many people there it is amazing that our paths crossed. She was there with her family we chatted for a few minutes and then went on our way. The kids enjoyed the walk and it was amazing to see such colors and hot spots not to mention the intense sulfur smell. After walking around we decided to head on back. Luckily the kids fell asleep for part of the way. We stopped in Jackson for dinner and made it back to Star Valley around 7pm. It was a long day but fun. We decided that Yellowstone is not a day trip at least not from the south entrance. I think one should allow at least 3 days there and spend the night somewhere in the middle of the park because all the attractions take a few hours of driving to get to. But I am glad we went anyway and saw it now I can check that off my list of things I have seen. Saturday we took the kids fishing a couple of times, Zach caught one, and went swimming, Shay ran into an old mission companion at the pool, small world,  it was a fun trip. The only bummer we all got the sniffles, major allergies!! So we headed home to get some R&;R before we start this weeks adventure.
 feeding the baby cows
Pretending to drive one of the tractors
Boys riding in the tractor
Steel driving the tractor
View from the window of the Tetons
Waiting for Old Faithful to Erupt
Old Faithful 
Fishing 

4 comments:

  1. I can't belive it, you made it before me. I have never been to Yellowsstone, but one of these days I will. It looks like you got to do a lot of differnt things.It relly is very pretty there. Hope you get to feeling better, and we'll see you in Glenns Ferry on Wed. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been there since I was about 8 years old! Maybe someday we'll take the kids. Thanks for posting the pics- looks like a lot of fun amidst the craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a fun summer! We are just melting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip! We'll have to do that with our kids someday. Glad you guys are having a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete